Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"My Place of Peace" continued


Soccer on way from game to lunch time at the "cafo."

We recently shared excerpts from essays written by my ninth grade English students. A veteran teacher friend responded and told me that she would love to read and grade the work quoted in our previous blog. I have to agree. Here's more of what our missionary kids (M.K.s) have to share with us.

A member of our Lady Buffs soccer team, Jacquie states that her "place of peace is on a field."
"Surrounding me are the dark, cloudy skies that rumble as if they are hungry. I can smell that rain is coming soon. I can also feel the humidity in the air as the beads of sweat start to break out on my forehead. My favorite smell is the fresh-cut grass that had been mowed the previous afternoon. I look out over the field and see the black oil that outlines my place of peace. I [can] just stare at a picture of this scene, and I...feel happy."

Caleb finds his peace on an old termite mound. "Once the termites ruled this mound of dirt, but now it's been left to the trees. However, this [is] good in many ways, because they provide shade for me and a place where the birds perch. Once I have got to its summit, I will find a nice place to sit and a good place for my gun to go and rest ...if I see a pigeon, I can get a good shot at it."

Sigrid finds peace in her art. "I lay on my stomach with my art paper stretched out in front of me...I hear my pencil scratch the snow white, soft paper...The feeling of joy and freedom increases minute by minute." Sigrid says, "Seeing the strokes of the pencil, the wonderful outcome and loud music playing in the background, I have reached my place of peace.

Jessica describes a wooded area "behind a house where I lived in the states." She goes on to say that this place "is where I can escape the aggravation and insanity of this world." She wisely goes on to conclude, "A feeling of peace cannot be achieved on ones own...A true sense of peace can only be achieved when we reach out to God, our Prince of Peace, and he reaches back down to us."

Well said. Well said, indeed.



J.V. soccer team shows their skills.


Proud dad looks on...

As Lady Buffs dominate!

No comments:

Post a Comment